Friday, October 1, 2010

A Letter to My Dad. (For Every Little Girl Who Grew Up Without Their Father.)

To the other 50% of why I exist,

So many years have passed but you keep telling me its never too late. It may never be too late to build a future but it might just be too late to change the past. Who knows the person I would have been if you were their when I was growing up. Your absence wasnt your fault (i'll blame the other 50% of my existence for that). I may wonder but I will never wish for it to have been any different. For I am proud of the person I am today and its all because of who I was yesterday. Yesterday I was a little girl who wanted her dad to teach her how to ride a bike or throw a punch. Ive learned all those things just not from you. "How would you know the type of man you want if you dont know your father?" I may not have known you well but that hasn't had an effect on my male preferences. I have not made the best selections in men but my not-so-great choices have taught me what I dont want in a guy, what to expect, and what to not allow. My mistakes have showed me to recognize a bad man when I see one, to appreciate a good one if we ever meet, and to be patient with a guy thats willing to change whats worst to better. I treat every guy accordingly. You probably coulda taught me that a little sooner than I had to learn though, but I doubt if I would have listened, your daughter is slightly hard-headed. But the best lesson is learned by actually taking the class.
But my teacher was late.
You've finally arrived.
And class is still in session...So teach me.



Love,



_______________.

No comments:

Post a Comment